J. Lewis Cooper
Wholesale Distributor of Fine Wine & Spirits Since 1946
Home
J. Lewis Cooper Co.
Background and Introspect


To understand why we are where we are, it is meaningful to know the circumstances and philosophy under which we have grown and prospered . .

The inception of J. LEWIS COOPER CO. was simple and modest, comprised of limited stock and variety of wine. J. Lewis Cooper, Sr., the only employee, used his food store in Pontiac as an office; and a public warehouse for inventory storage. Deliveries, at first, were made by a contract trucker called in one or two days a week.

Within a year or so, Mr. Cooper rented an office on the third floor of the public warehouse and hired a secretary and a sales representative.

Fortunately, the business grew, and before another year was over, the company leased a warehouse and an office on Gratiot Avenue and purchased a used truck for deliveries. The progress continued over the years, additional sales representatives and trucks were added. The additional volume necessitated relocating the company four times, each time to a larger facility.

J. Lewis Cooper, Jr. joined the company in 1963 and his son, J. Lewis Cooper III, joined the company in 1985.

In 1997 the company became an Authorized Distribution Agent for the warehousing and delivery of spirits in Michigan.

Today, as the largest wine wholesaling organization in Michigan, Lewis and Lew carry on the same tradition of good business principles (established by J. Lewis Cooper Sr., who passed away in 1984). These principles have been the cornerstone of the company's success: honesty, hard work, fair dealing and service.

Lewis and Lew have surrounded themselves with a team of growth-minded business associates who are educated in every facet of the wine wholesaling and spirits distribution and spirits brokerage operations. It is their commitment to the wine and spirits business and the employees of J. Lewis Cooper Co. that guide the company.